2019-2020 Church Year
September note from PruComm President Cheryl Bartholomew
The Results of Your Generosity: Update on FY 2019 Budget Surplus
The PruComm is pleased to report that due to the generosity of the congregation and to the passing of a motion at the 2019 Annual Meeting, we have been able to fund the following additional projects/activities for our committees and groups to expand their work on behalf of the congregation and have been able to give our staff a UUA Fair Wage Salary Increase.
The following motion was passed at the 2019 Annual Meeting:
“To allow any surplus money from the budget income in fiscal years 2019, 2020, 2021 to be used by the Prudential Committee to fund mission critical projects, programs or staffing requests that occur during the church year and could not be funded due to current budget income limits, and to resume funding of building and grounds with surplus money from current year’s budget income with fiscal year 2022.”
Surplus monies have been used to fund:
- Envision the Future Congregational Conversations
- UUA Fair Wage Salary Increase
- An additional day per month for the Mobile Loaves and Fishes truck
- Black Lives Matter speaker fees, Pride Parade participation, and Nonviolence Training
- Transportation, signage and promotion for setting the First U Legislative Committee Action agenda
- Recycling bins for the church as part of the next step in Green Sanctuary certification
- Facilitator/Educator/Speaker fees around racial justice and the development of partnerships with groups led by people of color within the community
- Lay Pastoral Training Materials
- Strategic Planning and Mission/Vision work
- Recruiting/Informational events and pamphlet printing for the Benevolent Society
- David Smith Music Weekend in October
The Prudential Committee would like to offer a heartfelt thank you to the congregation for making this possible.
2019-20 Prudential Committee members and areas of responsibility
Cheryl Bartholomew – president
John Simmonds – past president
Michael Capelli – president elect
Claire Rosenbaum – clerk
Roberta Groch – assistant treasurer
David Francis – assistant treasurer
Samantha Cole – community life
Greg Knisley – social justice
David Spremulli – spiritual development
Tiffany Reed – stewardship
Caroline Mailloux – strategic planning
Edyth Warren – personnel
The six-member Nominating Committee is responsible for identifying and developing church leadership. Members are elected for two-year terms. In addition to recruiting for elected positions, they help identify committee chairs.
Nominating Committee members have an understanding of the structure and work of the organization, leadership needs, and the special qualifications needed for elected and appointed positions.
Nominating Committee members 2019-19:
The Deacons create opportunities for hospitality, fellowship, and a sense of belonging among newcomers, members, and friends. They are elected by the congregation to five-year terms. Recent activities include ushering on Sunday mornings, phoning members and friends to check in, assisting the minister with annual communion service.