Weddings and Rentals
First Unitarian welcomes the larger community to our facilities. We rent space for weddings, social events, and meetings. Our buildings include:
- A 200-year-old sanctuary in our Meeting House that seats up to 830, with a magnificent pipe organ featuring 52 ranks of pipes, and a grand piano
- A Parish House with antique parlors and reception spaces
- A two-story, light-filled atrium for receptions
- Conference rooms
- An auditorium with stage
- Modern classrooms
- Elevator access for upper levels
The 200-year-old Meeting House houses an elegant sanctuary dominated by a raised mahogany pulpit. Four colossal fluted columns support a balcony around three sides of the space and a shallow dome from which a three-tiered, gilded chandelier is suspended. Two-story arched windows flood the sanctuary with light. Boxed pews are divided by three aisles. The balcony opposite the pulpit holds a pipe organ. The largest bell ever cast by the Paul Revere foundry hangs in the 189-foot steeple.
Parish House and Religious Education Wing
The Parish House contains multiple Victorian parlors, with an auditorium plus stage on the second floor.
A modern addition to the Parish House, the Religious Education Wing (or Parish House Annex), includes a large, bright two-story atrium for receptions and art exhibits, church offices, and conference rooms. Second and third floors, fully accessible by elevator, house spacious modern classrooms.
For more than 200 years, First Unitarian has hosted wedding ceremonies for members and non-members of differing faiths. We welcome wedding ceremonies for same-sex couples.
Constructed in 1816, our historic Meeting House seats up to 830 people. Rental includes use of organ and piano. For small ceremonies, our antique-filled parlors and elegant glass-walled atrium are available.
The First Unitarian Senior Minister is generally available for member ceremonies only. However, our Assistant Minister is available for outside weddings, and we can also provide a list of experienced Unitarian Universalist ministers who might be available to officiate at your ceremony. If you have a minister you would like to bring in, we will provide you with additional information.
Our Interim Music Director Beth Armstrong, can work with you to help plan for music. We currently do not have a permanent organist/pianist, but Beth can help you find a qualified accompanist. The church has a full sound system for your use.
Our parking lot beside the church provides parking spaces for 25 cars. There is plenty of on-street parking on the weekends.
To schedule your wedding, contact the Director of Operations, Nancy Forsstrom, by email at email@example.com or by phone at 401-421-7970.
Our building manager will assist you during your rehearsal — generally the evening before — and on the day of your ceremony.
- All buildings are handicap accessible.
- We do not allow confetti of any kind inside the church but do allow flower petals or birdseed outside.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the grounds.
Wedding Rental Fees
- Sanctuary rental fee includes the wedding rehearsal, the hour before the wedding for your florist and guests to arrive, and the hour of the wedding – $500
- Minister – $500
- Building manager fee covers custodial services: opening and closing, helping with setup, insuring cleanliness, turning on heat and lights, cleanup, and insuring security – $100. Any additional services – $25/hour
- Reservation fee, non-refundable, secures time and date on our church calendar – $50
- Wedding total- $1,150.
- Organist – $300
- Organist with soloist, vocal or instrumental – $350
- Auditorium rental – $75/hour
- Parlor rental – $25/hour per parlor
- Additional requested building manager services – $25/hour
Non-Wedding Rental Fees
- Use of the Meeting House sanctuary – $150/hour
- Use of the auditorium – $75/hour
- Use of the Parish House for a reception, 4 hours maximum – $250/hour
- Use of a parlor or classroom – $25/hour
- Additional services of building manager – $25/hour
- Organist, optional – $300/event
- Organist with vocal or instrumental soloist – $350/event
- Non-refundable fee reserves date on church calendar – $50, $250 for receptions.
- All building rental fees are payable to the First Unitarian Church of Providence, or can be paid online or by phone with credit card. Payments to the minister, building manager, and organist should be made payable to the individual providing the service.
- All final payments are due two weeks prior to your reserved date.