What is the Community Collection?
The Community Collection allows the First Unitarian Church community to practice generosity and to support good works in our larger community and globally. These are “pass through” collections. They replace the normal offering at a Sunday worship service and generally occur once a month between September and May during the church year.
What are the results of recent Community Collections?
From November 2020 – February 2021, the congregation generously gave $6,500 supporting the Armenian Relief, Loaves and Fishes, Hope’s Harvest, Partner Church, and the Girl Effect. The Sexual Assault Advocacy Network (SAAN), and Project Weber are on the schedule for April and May. Additionally, the congregation gave nearly $2,000 for the Minister’s Discretionary Fund.
Who decides who receives one of the collections?
A committee of three (Social Justice Ministry liaison to the Prudential Committee and two members from the Social Justice Ministry) is responsible for receiving and approving proposals for a Community Collection. Members of the Community Collection Committee recuse themselves when considering a collection for any project with which they are closely associated.
Who is eligible?
Community Collections are limited to the support of programs sponsored by a program of the church or which involves active participation from a member of the church. In any case, there must be a group of at least three members who are willing to be a sponsoring group for a proposed collection. Collections are not intended to support ongoing programs, and no program should assume it would receive a collection for two years running.
What is the timeline for submitting proposals?
- March 21, 2021 – Using the weekly newsletter that Community Collection Committee, notifies the congregation that it is accepting proposals for the following church year.
- April 30, 2021 – Proposals are due.
- May 31, 2021 – Applicants are notified if your proposal has been approved, and for which month.
- September 2021 – May 2022 – Community Collections are received for each month except December and March. Church administrator creates a check for the cause, charity or project and delivers.
What information do you need for the proposal?
- Name of church member submitting the proposal and contact information (phone, email)
- Name of church program or two other supporting church members who are submitting the proposal
- Name of the proposed cause, charity, or project
- Description of the cause, charity, or project (one paragraph)
- Why you believe the cause, charity, or project is worthy of support from First Unitarian Church (one paragraph)
- Whether the cause, charity, or project was approved previously and the approval date (months/years)
Please fill in the form below to submit your request.
For questions or more information:
Contact Greg Kniseley, Social Justice Ministry Liaison
Email – email@example.com, cell – (401) 351-0358