What to expect when attending an in-person Sunday service or other event
Members, friends, and visitors are welcome to attend Sunday services in person in the First U Meeting House. All worship services will also be live-streamed on First U’s YouTube channel, as usual.
Even though our Meeting House will look almost the same as before the pandemic, the guidelines our governing board has put in place will make the experience somewhat different. Our goal is to keep everyone in our faith community as safe and healthy as possible, with special concern for those most vulnerable among us. We are guided by our UU principles and the latest advice from our local, state, and national health professionals.
Meeting House Guidelines
Here are the guidelines for attending services in the Meeting House:
- Everyone will be required to wear a mask during the services and maintain social distancing. Extra masks will be available at the doors. Special accommodations are made for people with disabilities unable to wear a mask and children under 5.
- Seating will be in every other row, with non-designated pews taped off. Families will be asked to sit together in their pods. Balconies will be closed unless needed for overflow.
- Doors and windows will be open for air circulation.
- Music will be instrumental, rather than vocal, during services.
- Food and drink service will resume later in the church year, when safety permits.
- People will be asked to exit the Meeting House by the door closest to them, keeping a social distance and refraining from congregating inside the Meeting House or standing in doorways or on stairs.
- All are welcome to greet each other either once outside, either on the front lawn or in the breezeway. To honor comfort levels, hugs, handshakes, touches, and other shows of affection will be offered only with consent.
- Committees and other small groups may use other campus buildings and rooms following the policies in place.
Parish House Guidelines
Here are guidelines for coming to the church office or attending a smaller group meeting in the Parish House:
- Everyone in the Parish House working or interacting with staff is required to wear a mask at all times. Special accommodations are made for people with disabilities unable to wear a mask and children under 5.
- Fully vaccinated members of specific church groups who have agreed 100% to do so, may choose to unmask and relax social distancing while they are in their meeting room and are required to mask up when leaving their meeting room.
Guidelines May Change
These guidelines will be in place unless the COVID-19 situation requires a reassessment. Meanwhile, the Bridging Team (First U’s COVID-19 Task Force) will continue to meet, monitor the situation, and recommend any guidelines changes needed to the Prudential Committee, First U’s elected governing board. Watch upcoming issues of the First U Times for further information.
For those who choose to attend worship services virtually, all Sunday services will continue to be streamed to First U’s YouTube channel. Tune in at 10am on Sunday mornings or later on at your convenience from wherever you may be.