Scotland Walking Pilgrimage
Join Rev. Liz on a walking pilgrimage in Scotland
Join Rev. Liz in May, 2022, for a spiritual pilgrimage in Scotland. Together we will journey eight days through the Scottish Highlands’ most stunning landscapes, following the West Highland Way, one of Scotland’s most celebrated walking paths. Walking pilgrimage is a spiritual practice that connects us to the Earth, to one another, and to our own souls. As we walk through beautiful terrain, we also explore the inner landscape of our hearts and souls with the help of daily readings, questions, spiritual practices, and group reflection every evening before dinner. Pilgrimage is a spiritual practice well-suited to those who find themselves at an inflection point in their lives and who wish to explore where’s life journey may lead them next.
Rev. Liz knows and loves the Scottish Highlands. Before she spends her sabbatical there, she is excited to share with us her knowledge of its people, culture, and Celtic spiritual traditions. She will lead the pilgrimage alongside her colleague Rev. Rob Hardies who has led UU congregations on pilgrimages for nearly 20 years, traveling to locations on three continents.
If you think you might be interested in joining us on this pilgrimage (no commitment yet!), please let us know by sending a quick note to Nancy at the church office. Then plan on joining Revs. Liz and Rob for a Zoom orientation session on Sunday, June 6, 7-8:30pm. Nancy will send you the Zoom link. The deadline to commit to the trip with a non-refundable deposit of approximately $150 is August 25, 2021.
The estimated price for the pilgrimage is $1600. This amount could fluctuate a little due to the final number of participants, changes to our itinerary, and fluctuating currency rates. The price includes the following:
- An eight-day, nine-night walking pilgrimage along the West Highland Way.
- Accommodation for nine nights in en-suite rooms (where available) in selected B&B’s, hotels, inns, and guesthouses along the trail or a short distance away via taxi provided at expense of tour company.
- Breakfast each day.
- Door-to-door daily luggage transfer (1 item per person up to 44 lbs. or 20kg), so we can walk with only day packs.
- Maps with the route marked on and a guidebook or route notes describing the trail.
- An information pack containing an itinerary, instructions on how to find our accommodation each night, and a pack list.
- Detailed travel instructions on how to get to the start of our pilgrimage and back from the end of it.
- Two guides (Revs. Liz and Rob) who will accompany our group every step of the journey, guiding our spiritual reflections and coordinating logistics.
- Several sessions of spiritual (and physical!) preparation before the pilgrimage, including practice walks, setting our personal intentions for the journey, and background reading on Celtic spiritual traditions and the practice of pilgrimage.
- Daily reflection questions, readings, and practices to spiritually focus each day of our pilgrimage.
- Group reflection/sharing time facilitated by the ministers every evening before dinner.
What the price does NOT include:
- Your cost of travel (including airfare and transfers) to the beginning of the pilgrimage and back from the end of it.
- Lunches and dinners on your own.
- We’ll provide more information on these costs at the orientation session.
Interested? Need more information? Please find out more and have your questions answered at our Zoom orientation session on Sunday, June 6, 7-8:30pm. Contact Nancy in the church office to request a Zoom invitation.