Job Title: Interim Music Director
The Interim Music Director (IMD) creates and directs a program of stimulating and inspiring music for the church, with enthusiasm for Unitarian Universalist principles of respect, justice, and spiritual growth. The IMD directs music for worship services and leads the church choir. In addition, the IMD either provides or coordinates with an instrumentalist to provide music on both organ and piano.
First Unitarian Church of Providence (First U) is a large, dynamic, urban Unitarian Universalist church that welcomes all, offers a liberal theology, and seeks to build a community in which we transform love into action. We have a robust ministry spanning worship and music, spiritual exploration, pastoral care, social and environmental justice, and a vibrant church school program. Our Sunday services are vital to the life of the congregation. Music is an essential aspect of our worship, including the choir, which sings nearly every week. Our historic campus is situated between two universities in the heart of Providence, Rhode Island.
Reports to: Senior Minister
Status: half time, 20 + hours/week
Duration: August 16, 2021 through June 12, 2022
The IMD is eligible to apply for the position of Music Director.
The position will require work on most Sunday mornings for choir rehearsal followed by the worship service. There are weekly staff meetings and weekly meetings with the Senior Minister. Two Christmas Eve services are also required. The schedule is flexible beyond that. Office space is provided.
- Oversee all aspects of the music program of the church
- Collaborate with the ministers, visiting preachers, and occasionally the Director of Religious Education in the selection of music for all services during the church year, to coordinate thematic integration of music and worship
- Provide or coordinate music direction, choral direction, and instrumental music for Sunday services and additional services as agreed
- Meet regularly with the Music Committee in support of the music life of the church
- Encourage the musical participation and development of the congregants in line with their talents and interests
- Develop and maintain relationships with other musicians, musical resources, and opportunities beyond the church, and connect this larger music community to our congregation
- Purchase music and supplies and supervise the maintenance of instruments
- Familiarity with music from diverse cultural and religious traditions and music genres
- Commitment to inclusion and anti-oppression work
- Creativity and innovation
- Integrity and trust
- Responsibility and follow-through
- Ability to navigate stairs in our historic Meeting House
- Ability to direct music on Sunday mornings from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Training and/or experience as a Music Director or Choir Director
- Demonstrated proficiency in vocal and/or instrumental performance
If you do not meet all of the listed qualifications but feel that you would be a great fit for this position, we encourage you to apply!
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary for this position, $27,950-$32,850, follows the UUA Salary Recommendations (Geo Index 4, Midsize III) and is commensurate with experience and credentialing. The position offers health insurance coverage. Benefits also follow UUA recommendations and are negotiable.
Church building and instruments may be available to the IMD for practice, private lessons, and outside performances, if scheduling permits.
Equity and Inclusion:
First U is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where equitable employment opportunities are available to qualified applicants of any race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, political affiliation, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, veteran or military status, or age.
First U will provide reasonable accommodations in all aspects of the hiring process. If you need assistance or accommodations, please contact Nancy Forsstrom by email at email@example.com or by phone at 401-421-7970.
Safety and COVID-19:
First U follows all state public health guidelines and errs on the side of safety during the current COVID-19 pandemic. The IMD may be asked to work from home, record music in the Meeting House with a limited number of performers in advance of services, or find other ways to support the music life of the church while following church safety guidelines.
Send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for two references, to Nancy Forsstrom at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications accepted until June 4th, 2021.