Weddings and Rentals
First Unitarian welcomes the larger community to our facilities. We rent space for weddings, social events, and meetings. Our buildings include:
- A 200-year-old sanctuary that seats up to 750, with a magnificent pipe organ featuring 52 ranks of pipes and a Steinway piano
- A Parish House with antique parlors, a fully equipped kitchen, and reception space
- A two-story, light-filled atrium for receptions
- Conference rooms
- An auditorium with stage
- Modern classrooms
- Elevator access for upper levels
The 200-year-old Meeting House houses an elegant sanctuary dominated by a raised mahogany pulpit. Four colossal fluted columns support a balcony around three sides of the space and a shallow dome from which a three-tiered, gilded chandelier is suspended. Two-story arched windows flood the sanctuary with light. Boxed pews are divided by three aisles. The balcony opposite the pulpit holds a pipe organ. The largest bell ever cast by the Paul Revere foundry hangs in the 189-foot steeple.
Parish House and RE Wing
The Parish House contains multiple Victorian parlors and a fully-equipped kitchen, with an auditorium plus stage on the second floor.
A modern addition to the Parish House, the Religious Education Wing, includes a large, bright two-story atrium for receptions and art exhibits, church offices, and conference rooms. Second and third floors, fully accessible by elevator, house spacious modern classrooms.
Click on a floor plan for a larger view:
For more than 200 years, First Unitarian has performed wedding ceremonies for members and non-members of differing faiths. We welcome wedding ceremonies for same-sex couples.
Constructed in 1816, our historic Meeting House seats up to 750 people. Rental includes use of organ and piano. For small ceremonies, our antique-filled parlors and elegant glass-walled atrium are available.
The First Unitarian minister is generally available for member ceremonies only. However, we will provide a list of experienced Unitarian Universalist ministers available to officiate at your ceremony. If you have a minister you would like to bring in, we will provide you with additional information.
Our Music Director Fred Jodry is a Brown University professor and works with an array of soloists should you wish to hire him. If you choose to bring your own organist, by the American Guild of Organist guidelines, you will be required to pay our organist 50% of the normal fee. If Fred is not available, we can provide the names of excellent alternate musicians. The church has a full sound system for your use.
Our parking lot beside the church provides parking spaces for 25 cars. There is plenty of on-street parking on the weekends.
To schedule your wedding, contact the church administrator by email at email@example.com or by phone at 401-421-7970.
Our building manager will assist you during your rehearsal — generally the evening before — and on the day of your ceremony.
- We have a full-service kitchen.
- All buildings are handicap accessible.
- We do not allow confetti of any kind inside the church but do allow flower petals or birdseed outside only.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the grounds.
Wedding Rental Fees
- Sanctuary rental fee includes the wedding rehearsal, the hour before the wedding for your florist and guests to arrive, and the hour of the wedding – $400
- Officiant – $450
- Building manager fee covers custodial services: opening and closing, helping with setup, cleanup, and insuring security – $100
- Reservation fee, non-refundable, secures time and date on our church calendar – $50
- Wedding total- $1,000
- Organist – $300
- Organist with soloist, vocal or instrumental – $350
- Auditorium rental – $75/hour
- Parlor rental – $25/hour per parlor
- Additional custodial services – $20/hour
Non-Wedding Rental Fees
- Use of the sanctuary – $150/hour
- Use of the auditorium – $75/hour
- Use of the atrium, parlors, and kitchen – $250/hour
- Use of a parlor or classroom – $25/hour
- Setup and breakdown charge – $20/hour
- Use of the kitchen – $75/event
- Minister – fee varies
- Organist, optional – $300/event
- Organist with vocal or instrumental soloist – $350/event
- Building manager – $20/hour
- Deposit – $50. Non-refundable deposit reserves date on church calendar
- Damage deposit – $100. Refundable damage deposit for all rentals except weddings, memorial services, and child dedications
- All building rental fees are payable to the First Unitarian Church of Providence. Payments to the minister, building manager, and organist should be made payable to the individual providing the service.
- All final payments are due two weeks prior to your reserved date.